Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Superintendent

According to Warren County, Purdy is not only the Interim Supe, but also the acting Principal of the Greenwich School.

I haven't heard a single word about Ms. Eppolito doing the same double-duty. Is that the plan? Or are we going to, again, end up with 3 Sr. Administrative positions (plus an Assistant Principal for Greenwich School) for 2 schools?

Whether it's Purdy or not doesn't matter. The question is "1 Super and 1 Principal, or 1 Super and 2 Principals?"

Purdy will not stay on after Ms Eppolite begins working for Greenwich in January. She will be the Super, along with the ASSISTANT Principal at the Greenwich School (overseeing nearly seven hundred kids and almost a hundred staff members) , and the Principal at the Middle School.

I encourage anyone to find out what districts similar to ours are doing. You will find that our district is very thrifty. And remember, the Board has not raised the budget in two years.

Also, please keep in mind that we have an unusually high number of special ed students, which increases school costs quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Big T
    Purdy will not stay on after Ms Eppolite begins working for Greenwich in January. She will be the Super, along with the ASSISTANT Principal at the Greenwich School (overseeing nearly seven hundred kids and almost a hundred staff members) , and the Principal at the Middle School.

I encourage anyone to find out what districts similar to ours are doing. You will find that our district is very thrifty. And remember, the Board has not raised the budget in two years.

Also, please keep in mind that we have an unusually high number of special ed students, which increases school costs quite a bit.
    Big T is right-Purdy is strictly an interim. It is a common job for retired admins because they pull in $700-800 a day. They go from district to district on an as needed basis.
    I do believe Greenwich needs some help. Bilotti should not carry the weight of Asst. Principal and Dir. of Special Services. Director of Special Services is a huge job with a large amount of laws and policies that must be adhered too. Therefore we are asking Bilotti to do the job of two people. I for one am unimpressed with her Asst. Principal abilities.
    Overall I think Greenwich needs help pulling the faculty together. There are so many undisciplined and lax situations in my kids grade levels and I am fed up with it. You can call, you can e-mail but not much gets done. At this point I could go on forever but I won't bore everybody with details.

Default new Superintendent

okay I email the State of NJ to find out if Greenwich's School District needed a Superintendent or could a Administrative Prinicipal handle the job.....here is their response........

"In response to your inquiry concerning the requirement for a two school district to have a superintendent, NJSA 18A:17 provides information on ?district superintendents.? Specifically, in districts that do not have a superintendent, the board of education may appoint an administrative principal for the district. Information on the role and responsibilities of the administrative principal may be found in NJSA 18A:17-20.5. Additionally, a district may elect to share a superintendent with another district. Information on shared superintendents may be found in NJSA 18A:17-24.1. "

Here is the language about Administrative Principals:
    18A:17-20.5
    In any district not having a superintendent of schools, the board of education shall appoint an administrative principal for the district. In a district having two or more schools the board shall appoint the principal of one of those schools as administrative principal, and in a district having only one school, the principal of that school shall be so appointed. The appointment of an administrative principal shall be made by contract for a term of not less than three nor more than five years and expiring July 1, by the recorded roll call majority vote of the full membership of the board. Reappointment of the administrative principal shall be governed by the same provisions as set forth in section 4 of P.L.1991, c. 267 (C.18A:17-20.1) with respect to superintendents. The administrative principal shall have all the powers, authority, privileges, rights and duties set forth in N.J.S.18A:17-20 and sections 5 and 6 of P.L.1991, c.267 (C.18A:17-20.5 and 18A:17-20.6) with respect to superintendents. No administrative principal hereafter appointed shall have tenure in any other position in the district; but nothing in this section or in P.L.1991, c. 267 (C.18A:17-20.1 et al.) shall affect any tenure rights which shall have already accrued to any individual who was appointed as or functioning as an administrative principal prior to the effective date of P.L.1991, c.267 (C. 18A:17-20.1 et al.).

Here is certification requirement language:
    18A:17-17
    No person shall be appointed, or act as, or perform the duties of, superintendent or assistant superintendent of schools, unless he holds an appropriate certificate as prescribed by the state board.

Because an Administrative Principal is performing the duties of a Superintendent, (s)he must have the same certification as a Superintendent. The language about tenure and contracts is identical to that for a Superintendent. This is only a name game. Why would someone want to be called an Administrative Principal when they are performing the duties and have the responsibilities of a Superintendent. That is why you have a title of Superintendent/Principal. It is exactly the same thing as an Administrative Principal, but it sounds more prestigious. I'm baffled as to why Steve447 cannot understand the concept of one person performing two functions.
    The bottom line whether you call the function an Administrative Principal, Chief School Administrator (CSA), or Superintendent each district is required to have someone performing that function at all times whether it is full-time, part-time/shared, or interim.

Based on what I'm hearing here, I think it's great.

Yes, there has to be a boss. Absolutely. If that boss is also doing double duty as a principal, that's great.

And *that's* worth the salary involved.

I'd have had a lot more respect for Brennan if he was also the principal of the middle school. To hear that Eppolito (along with Billoti) will carry that load is refreshing.

If this is true - and it sounds like it is - kudos to the school board!