Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To Anyone That Works At Best Buy

Slaxx, you need to go to Warren County Community College and take some basic courses in electricity and algebra.

Writing 10 KVA is the exact same thing as 10KW , because Volts x Amp = Watts. [1]

Any kind of reactance whether it?s capacitive, inductive has nothing to do with this example.

If you were to put an amprobe on that TV it would be drawing 1.6 amps and that?s what you would be charged for.

If you want to do things in vectors that?s fine, but any sinusoidal cycle can be expressed in a vector, but again that?s not really necessary in this example.

[1] http://ebtx.com/mech/ampvolt.htm

Wow Steve, you're a rebel!! You parked in an energy efficient parking spot and shopped at Staples. What are you going to do next? Flush the toilet two times? Go get 'em bad boy!

Just be sure that, when you hit the can, you capture all the farts. You don't want that methane getting released into the atmosphere. What with the global warming and all...

I'm with Lopat here and enjoying the popcorn.

Seriously, I went to Best Buy, parked in a normal spot and got my excercise walking to the store. I then made a $69 purchase for an item that Staples wanted $199 for. So what if they have "energy efficient" spots. If they're trying to do their part, for whatever reason, my hat's off to them. For people that have nothing else to do except complain about something, why don't you complain about people parking in handicapped spots that have no right to park there.

Now back to the show...

I went to Best Buy, saw they wanted $75 for the toner cartridge my printer needs, and $109 for a 1T external hard drive; then went to Staples and saw they wanted $61 for the toner. Instead I bought the hard drive at Target for $60, and came home and went online, where I ordered the toner for $36.

Bluntly: anyone who doesn't know the difference between VA's and W's is, charitably, a "wiki-electrician" and a confirmed joke (as if confirmation was required...).

Slaxx is 100% correct. The difference is normally between 10 and 15%, btw.

But even if Slaxx wasn't correct, you'd think that someone here would know to multiply the amps times the volts, even for a back of the napkin estimate.

84A (which, btw, is low) times 115V (the real voltage - it had BETTER be more than 110) is how much again?

9,660W. About 10kW, assuming that the system is 100% efficient, and that Slaxx and I don't know the difference between potential and realized Volt-Amps.

Thus, to reiterate my initial correct statement: A 10kW nominal solar plant, for a building that size - running devices all day and night - is a token. A nice gesture - presuming that they paid full price and didn't use my tax dollars to by it.

So, again... did they?

Well, Winnie, you're certainly good at repeating things you've found online. However, Volt-Amps (VA) and Watts (W) are not the same...that's why we have two different units. Of course, I'm sure you'd get confused by the basic definition

Power (Watts) = Current (Amps) x Voltage (Volts)

But you're forgetting the alternate definitions, namely

P = I^2 R and P = V^2 / R

And guess what R, the resistance (sometimes represented Z for impedance), happens to be? A complex number, with both REAL and IMAGINARY components. So yeah, every consumer electronic device will have real power (VA) and some imaginary power (reactive VA), and the vector sum of these is total power (W).

And by Amprobe, do you mean Ammeter? Unless Amprobe is some specific manufacturer of an ammeter...

Trust me, Winnie, you'll never beat me at this game. You can't put up a good (excuse the pun) resistance.

All right, here's a quick solar panel work-up using one of the most efficient panels I could find on the market (who knows, maybe Best-Buy's corporate ties get them something more efficient than this, or at a better price).

Item: Sanyo HIT Power 195 Watt Solar Panel
    Price: $999 USD
    Dimensions: 51.9" x 31.2" x 1.4"
    Area: 12.69 sq. ft.
    Weight: 33.07 lbs.

This panel produces 195 Watts / 12.69 sq. ft., so...

Power / Area = 15.37 Watts / sq. ft.

Also, it cost-wise...

Cost / Power = 999 / 195 = $5.12 / Watt

So on the initial cost of the system, you're paying five bucks per Watt. Of course over time that will go down as you replace your existing power supplier with your own solar power.

So now you want to supply 10kW of power? Ok, that requires...

10 kW / 195 Watts per panel = 51.28 panels

We'll buy 52 panels to be safe. What would 52 panels cost us?

52 panels * $999 per panel = $51,948

So that's some serious cash already. According to the internet, you need to roughly double the cost of the panels to include things like an inverter, and battery storage cell, and other paraphernalia.

How much roof space are we talking here?

12.69 sq. ft. per panel * 52 panels = 659.88 sq. ft

Which is about 7 rows of 7 panels each, with an additional 3 panels off to the side somewhere. So the footprint of this thing would be...

Array Dimensions: 30.275' x 18.2'

And then the combined weight of the 52 panels?

Array Weight: 1719.64 lbs.

So nearly a ton. And all of that to produce a mere 10kW of electricity, which would run the electronics inside of Best Buy for...a day? So consider their initial investment of roughly $100,000 for this solar panel array. How long will it take you to pay it off?

That depends on how much they were spending on electricity before. If they consumed 10kW per day, and we'll say that they utilized that draw during business hours of 10am and 9pm, plus opening and closing, so about 12 hours per day...and I'll guess when closed they use only 1kW...

Power Consumed [kWh] = 10kW * 12 hours + 1kW * 12 hours = 132 kWh

And the mean cost per killowatt-hour around here?

132kWh * $0.1491 = $19.68 per day

To have our solar array cost that much, we would need...

# Days to break even = $100,000 / $ 19.68 per day = 5081.3 days

# Years to break even = 13.9 years

So it'll take them 14 years to break even, assuming the cost of power doesn't change between now and then.

Of course, this analysis is VERY rudimentary. I have no idea if these numbers are even close to being accurate, but hey, it's an idea.

My sources, if you care:

Solar Panel design: http://www.realgoods.com/product/sol...solar+panel.do

Electricity Cost: http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

Don?t forget to factor in the 30% federal rebate and the 22% State rebate and you will come out with a 5-6 year payback, which I stated about 10 posts ago.

Slaxx you have talent for stating the obvious, why don?t you see if you can get original and answer Steve447?s question about where his money went.

Steve447 is starting to sound like Mr. Krabs on Sponge Bob Square Pants: Somebody?s always trying to steal me money!