Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: P'burg Mall closing?!?!?!

And I agree with you Steve!

Of course when you go to better stores you pay a premium for the brand name but you're also paying for better quality. I think a good mall will have a mix of stores and price points. The Mall at Short Hills maybe just be too high end all the way around but I'm sure that's they way they want it. Garden State Plaza on the other hand has a better mix of price point. The part that sucks about them is that they're closed on Sundays. Great place to go is the Woodbury Commons outlets in New York State. You get the high end at discounted prices.

If people out here are worried about keeping price low, a Century 21 (the discount department store, not the realtor) would be a great option out here. Designer clothing at greatly discounted pricing.

Fascist??? HA, HA, Steve; you do come up with good joke every now and then. What happened, were you grouchy when you posted that response?

Did I say you couldn't buy or like any of those things? NOOO.
    Did I say you couldn't live where you want, or eat where you want? NOOO.
    Did I say you should only have sex for procreation? NOOO.

Do I own nice clothes, and a large screen TV? Yes, and I bought them at a cheaper price at P-Burg mall than if I bought them at a "high end" mall. BUT, if all you P-burg mall haters had your way I?d have to drive an hour away to get a good deal.

I?m one of those consumers who actually fight to keep prices reasonable.

I?m will drive back to a store if I get ripped off even by a penny.

I believe you should have zero loyalty to a company; or at least, your loyalty should only last as long as their last quality product produced and sold at a reasonable price.

In today?s non-stop advertising world, the tail is wagging the dog. Buying trends are dictated by advertisements and buzz, not by quality or value of a product.

If you buy a house or car or a stock based upon how it makes you feel first, you are going to pay too much. Aesthetics and feelings are nice, but they should be secondary considerations when making a purchase.

I believe most name brands are of a cheaper quality than no-name brands, and they mostly look the same (save the name or label). Even when it is of higher quality, such as a Louis Vuitton bag, you are paying around $300 for the higher quality and $600 for the name. Which means you are still paying $600 too much.

If you wear a name brand with an obvious name or icon (especially large logos), you are advertising for that company for free. Since you are helping spread the name brand's image and power to sell more products, they should pay you to model it, not the other way around.

When you go into a store and see a sign that says buy two and get one for free, or buy one and get one for free, you DID NOT actually get anything for free and you certainly DID NOT save any money.

First, if you only intended to by one pair of jeans for $30, but then were influenced to buy two in order to get a third one ?free?, then all that happened is that the store just convinced you to spend $60. Which means you spent twice as much as you normally would have. YOU CAN?T CALL IT SAVING MONEY WHEN YOU SPEND DOUBLE OF WHAT YOU ORIGINALLY INTENDED.

Let?s say the sign says buy one and get one for free. You still didn?t save anything, because if they could sell you two for $30, all that means is that you should be able to buy one for $15, but they will never do that because they want more of your money; however, they want you to ?FEEL? like you saved even though you really didn?t.

Most "outlets" these days aren't really outlets. The word "outlet" is part of the name of the store. But since companies know people will travel a far distance to go there with the assumption they will pay less, the stores actually charge more, because they know people don't want to drive an hour away and not buy anything. A real outlet is a warehouse that is a distribution center for that company. If you go to an "outlet" that seems like its part of a mall, then it's not a real outlet, and you're actually paying more than you need to.

Read the small print and be logical and clear, no matter the purchase.

For example, I went to Toys-R-Us last year to buy my four-year-old son a toy. However, after standing in line for sometime and feeling pressure to get out of there, when I used the coupon, I realized they took the 10% off after taxes and not before. One, that?s false advertising because it?s no longer 10% off the purchase; two, its illogical; and three, its illegal. So I complained, and eventually convinced the manager to sell it to me at the proper price. I also called and wrote the to the Toys-R-Us national headquarters, to which they responded positively. As a result, they no longer do that (at least not since I last checked).

But just think how many hundreds or thousands of people in this area got ripped off until one consumer like me said something. By the way, you?re welcome to all those people who since then have shopped at Toys-R-Us.

I've done that kind of thing often in my life.

Does this approach make me cheap? It probably does, but certainly not a fascist.

The reality is, consumers like me keep stores honest, and if more people thought like I did our economy would be in much better shape; there would never be a bubble of any kind, and we wouldn?t need so many regulations on businesses.

In the end, I like P-Burg Mall just fine, and I hope some ?high end? monstrosity doesn?t replace it, because we?ll be paying more for the ?experience? of shopping, than the products we?re buying.
    Liberty without learning is always in peril; learning without liberty is always in vain. - JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Demarn View Post
    Fascist??? HA, HA, Steve; you do come up with good joke every now and then. What happened, were you grouchy when you posted that response?

Did I say you couldn't buy or like any of those things? NOOO.
    Did I say you couldn't live where you want, or eat where you want? NOOO.
    Did I say you should only have sex for procreation? NOOO.

Do I own nice clothes, and a large screen TV? Yes, and I bought them at a cheaper price at P-Burg mall than if I bought them at a "high end" mall. BUT, if all you P-burg mall haters had your way I?d have to drive an hour away to get a good deal.

I?m one of those consumers who actually fight to keep prices reasonable.

I?m will drive back to a store if I get ripped off even by a penny.

I believe you should have zero loyalty to a company; or at least, your loyalty should only last as long as their last quality product produced and sold at a reasonable price.

In today?s non-stop advertising world, the tail is wagging the dog. Buying trends are dictated by advertisements and buzz, not by quality or value of a product.

If you buy a house or car or a stock based upon how it makes you feel first, you are going to pay too much. Aesthetics and feelings are nice, but they should be secondary considerations when making a purchase.

I believe most name brands are of a cheaper quality than no-name brands, and they mostly look the same (save the name or label). Even when it is of higher quality, such as a Louis Vuitton bag, you are paying around $300 for the higher quality and $600 for the name. Which means you are still paying $600 too much.

If you wear a name brand with an obvious name or icon (especially large logos), you are advertising for that company for free. Since you are helping spread the name brand's image and power to sell more products, they should pay you to model it, not the other way around.

When you go into a store and see a sign that says buy two and get one for free, or buy one and get one for free, you DID NOT actually get anything for free and you certainly DID NOT save any money.

First, if you only intended to by one pair of jeans for $30, but then were influenced to buy two in order to get a third one ?free?, then all that happened is that the store just convinced you to spend $60. Which means you spent twice as much as you normally would have. YOU CAN?T CALL IT SAVING MONEY WHEN YOU SPEND DOUBLE OF WHAT YOU ORIGINALLY INTENDED.

Let?s say the sign says buy one and get one for free. You still didn?t save anything, because if they could sell you two for $30, all that means is that you should be able to buy one for $15, but they will never do that because they want more of your money; however, they want you to ?FEEL? like you saved even though you really didn?t.

Most "outlets" these days aren't really outlets. The word "outlet" is part of the name of the store. But since companies know people will travel a far distance to go there with the assumption they will pay less, the stores actually charge more, because they know people don't want to drive an hour away and not buy anything. A real outlet is a warehouse that is a distribution center for that company. If you go to an "outlet" that seems like its part of a mall, then it's not a real outlet, and you're actually paying more than you need to.

Read the small print and be logical and clear, no matter the purchase.

For example, I went to Toys-R-Us last year to buy my four-year-old son a toy. However, after standing in line for sometime and feeling pressure to get out of there, when I used the coupon, I realized they took the 10% off after taxes and not before. One, that?s false advertising because it?s no longer 10% off the purchase; two, its illogical; and three, its illegal. So I complained, and eventually convinced the manager to sell it to me at the proper price. I also called and wrote the to the Toys-R-Us national headquarters, to which they responded positively. As a result, they no longer do that (at least not since I last checked).

But just think how many hundreds or thousands of people in this area got ripped off until one consumer like me said something. By the way, you?re welcome to all those people who since then have shopped at Toys-R-Us.

I've done that kind of thing often in my life.

Does this approach make me cheap? It probably does, but certainly not a fascist.

The reality is, consumers like me keep stores honest, and if more people thought like I did our economy would be in much better shape; there would never be a bubble of any kind, and we wouldn?t need so many regulations on businesses.

In the end, I like P-Burg Mall just fine, and I hope some ?high end? monstrosity doesn?t replace it, because we?ll be paying more for the ?experience? of shopping, than the products we?re buying.
    If you can find the same quality of product and service at the P'burg mall that you would find at a Nordstrom, you must not know what quality and service is. Nordstrom has built it's entire brand recognition around Customer Service and Quality.

But to each his own. I understand that the stores at the P'burg mall are valuable to some but they certainly are not to me. I think in the 5 years I've lived here, I've probably made 3 purchases at that mall and they all involved stores that are available at any mall (i.e. Gap)

economics will drive this. No high-end retailer is going to invest in this area unless they are confidant they can realize a ROI.

To me this is just alot of hype... just like the Wegmans Store that suppossedly has been coming here. 12 years later -- Ingersoll Rand site still vacant .. nothing has changed.

I did read about that proposed high-end shopping site off route 173 and Beattys' road ---- but even if its approved --- per the article nothing will start for 5 years.

Are we going to have another P'Burg High School SNAFU?

Until i see ground broken I don't believe any of it....

Default Open farmland preservation

Amazing how the mayor et. al?. ran their campaigns wanting open space, open farmland for Greenwich and now they want to clutter the pristine farms and beautiful rural views with lifestyle promenades for more tax revenues?..I heard if the committee signs the cooperation agreement with the developer on March 30?tomorrow?it will make it hard if not impossible for much of anything else to go in that beautiful area??they should spend their efforts sprucing up the p?burg mall and keep that a viable mega lifestlye promenadal shopping eporium???? when is the next mayoral election??......