Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Changing Place In Front Of Staples

Take it to a dealer, and enjoy a latte or whatever... But really, it is not difficult to change oil. The porsche uses a cannister filter accessed from the topside, VERY easy to change, get some rags, and the proper sized tool, unscrew the oil filter cap, replace the o-ring seal, install new filter, put the cap back on and your done. then back the car up onto ramps, crawl underneath and drain the old oil, remove plug, drain, install plug.. done. 20 minutes tops.

Default earl change

I like to change the oil myself....it gives me 20 minutes to be intimate with my mechanical friend.......I use mobil 1 syn and change it every 6 months.....I just need a 1/2" socket and oil wrench to loosen the NAPA gold filter.....I take all my old earl to Wal-mart unload the 5 gallons of it....very therapuetic

Quote Originally Posted by tom69z View Post
    Take it to a dealer, and enjoy a latte or whatever... But really, it is not difficult to change oil. The porsche uses a cannister filter accessed from the topside, VERY easy to change, get some rags, and the proper sized tool, unscrew the oil filter cap, replace the o-ring seal, install new filter, put the cap back on and your done. then back the car up onto ramps, crawl underneath and drain the old oil, remove plug, drain, install plug.. done. 20 minutes tops.
    How much do you charge?

for purely liability reasons, I dont work on anyone's autos other than my own. sorry. but could you imagine the problems in the rare even something rogue happens to someone's car after having an oil change, I'd get the blame immediatly. So I just cannot go there, but the job is easy, if you can fix your fridge, you can change oil.

All german cars come with a German maintaince price tag, sounds like your not willing to pay it though, but freely shelled out the 104k without an eye blink when purchased the car, I'm very confused on this sort of thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by tom69z View Post
    for purely liability reasons, I dont work on anyone's autos other than my own. sorry. but could you imagine the problems in the rare even something rogue happens to someone's car after having an oil change, I'd get the blame immediatly. So I just cannot go there, but the job is easy, if you can fix your fridge, you can change oil.

All german cars come with a German maintaince price tag, sounds like your not willing to pay it though, but freely shelled out the 104k without an eye blink when purchased the car, I'm very confused on this sort of thought process.
    I thought we were just joking around, but it appears not. How much I make, how much I spend and how much I'm willing to spend if none of your concern. I asked a simple question if someone used that particular oil change place because I need to know if they do good work. Again, I'm not sure why it all comes down to money and what I spent with you? My main reason for not going to the dealer is that it's 1.5 hours away from where I currently live. The second point is that I would pay an extreme premium on price for a relatively simple task. When I need to something fixed, I go to the dealer because I know it will be done right. When it comes to an oil change, it can be done by any professional. I also didn't make my money by giving it away unnecessarily at every opportunity I get. If I paid 20,000 or 200,000 for my car what concern is it of yours. If I choose to get my tires through the dealer or through tirerack. If I choose to repair my fridge myself or pay a repair man. I just don't get it. I don't come on here for your approval, nor do I come on here to justify what I spend my money on and what I don't spend my money on. I saved a very long time to get the car that I have. I have driven previous cars into the ground so that I could buy my car. I would ask that you stop bringing it up because the way I was raised is you don't talk about those kinds of things.

If you have been to that oil change place, let me know your opinion. If you think I'm cheap even though I bought an expensive car, you can keep that to yourself. Perhaps I think you're cheap for never getting the expensive car in the first place so you could pay top dollar for a repair man. I really couldn't give a **** how you spend you money. I really don't care if you understand my thought process. I guess from all your comments that you always pay the highest going rate for any service you need without comparison shopping or looking for the best value available. I feel sorry for you because I think with the money you're throwing away, you could be driving something better.

I'll also ask that if you look at my future comments and have something of value to the conversation to add that doesn't insult where, how, why I spend my money I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, it's none of your business.

Swurvydel.....

It took you way too long to figure out tom69z was a ****

Quote Originally Posted by HEYBULLDOG View Post
    I like to change the oil myself....it gives me 20 minutes to be intimate with my mechanical friend.......I use mobil 1 syn and change it every 6 months.....I just need a 1/2" socket and oil wrench to loosen the NAPA gold filter.....I take all my old earl to Wal-mart unload the 5 gallons of it....very therapuetic
    Several users on the Porsche message board Rennlist.com have posted step by step instructions with photos for a how to on changing the oil. I'm very tempted to do it myself. I think what's held me back is the fear of doing something wrong and not having the proper tools for the job. I guess one day I'm going to have to suck it up and learn to do it myself. I think it's always more rewarding when you can do the work yourself. I think it would help to have someone there to walk me through it to ensure I don't mess anything up.

Oh well, gives me something to shoot for.

Default huh?

hey Swerv,

Ferrai owners never care what maintaince costs, neither should you. While your having a latte at the dealer see if they have any STFU as well. you sound like a total douche-bag asking people where to get oil changed on your stupid car.

Quote Originally Posted by Swurvydel View Post
    Several users on the Porsche message board Rennlist.com have posted step by step instructions with photos for a how to on changing the oil. I'm very tempted to do it myself. I think what's held me back is the fear of doing something wrong and not having the proper tools for the job. I guess one day I'm going to have to suck it up and learn to do it myself. I think it's always more rewarding when you can do the work yourself. I think it would help to have someone there to walk me through it to ensure I don't mess anything up.

Oh well, gives me something to shoot for.

Default jiffylube

Quote Originally Posted by Swurvydel View Post
    Has anyone used that place to change their oil? Any good? Price?

just TAKE it to jiffylube for crying out loud.

Swurv,

Not for nothing, but why don't you just stop in and ASK? An opinion from a message board doesn't come close to talking to the owner/operator yourself. You'll get the price from the horse's mouth. Yours will likely be higher then the norm. As for whether they are good or not, it's an OIL CHANGE. Kind of hard to screw that up.

Most, if not all, quick-change places are insured. If they screw up, they'll pay to fix it. A Porsche dealer can leave a drain plug loose just as easily as a tech at Jiffy Lube. Hence, an oil change is an oil change.

Jus' sayin'.