Thread: Verizon's Thanksgiving Gift..

Vanakkam Guest

Default Verizon's Thanksgiving Gift..

Did you notice that Verizon has increased their DSL internet service cost by $5/month starting this month? Basic 1-3 MBPS internet cost close to $40.00 a month now!
    Could anyone suggest other options for internet service?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vanakkam View Post
    Did you notice that Verizon has increased their DSL internet service cost by $5/month starting this month? Basic 1-3 MBPS internet cost close to $40.00 a month now!
    Could anyone suggest other options for internet service?
    I was having problems with DSL, so I went with cable from Service Electric (www.sectv.com). The ISP is PenTelData (www.ptd.net). They have multiple price points: $24.95 - 1.5Mbps; $29.95 - 3Mbps; $34.95 - 5Mbps; $39.95 - 7Mbps; and $44.95 - 15Mbps. If you don't get cable service from them, it's an additional $10 per month. They actually dropped their price by $5 recently. With the exception of an outage in the aftermath of Sandy, they have been very reliable. No phantom outages like I frequently experienced with DSL.

Vanakkam Guest

Thank you, will check out Service Electric.

I'm online 24 hours a day, and I have Service Electric. Best internet provider I've had since I've been out in Stewartsville. I tried Verizon DSL, then Dish. Service Electric has been the best yet. Even during the storm, I didn't lose the internet. Recently upgraded from 7 to 15 mpbs for $45 a month and it's excellent and I highly recommend it.

I have 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up. Is there an option to boost upstream bandwidth?

That said, I've been very happy with SECTV. Verizon DSL seemed to go down on a monthly basis. SECTV has been pretty reliable.

Unfortunately not the upload speed is capped at 1mbps. The plans are:
    1.5 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up
    3 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up
    5 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up
    7 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up
    15 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up

My issue is with upload speed. I use cloud backup, and it takes forever at 1Mbps.

Someday, and that day may never come, FIOS will be available. My boss has 75Mbps down and 35Mbps up. He lives in what is called "civilization."

LopatLewis, I have a friend who works for Verizon and he said that they have no plans to bring it out here. Basically we are out of luck.

Vanakkam Guest

I am planning to go with the 7 Mbps. The installation has been rescheduled twice already by SETV. Hope it is not a sign of their customer service!!