Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SECTV has a 250 GB per month cap now?

Default SECTV has a 250 GB per month cap now?

Just got this email..

Important Notice for Internet Customers
    Please note, we have implemented a new feature that will enable us to notify our subscribers when their usage reaches 75% of the 250 Gigabyte cap. All usage over 250 Gigabytes will be billed at $1.00 per Gigabyte. You can monitor your usage on a daily basis by visiting http://24.229.18.60/ from your home computer.

Pretty awesome, 2013 is here and our ability to use technology is regressing.

I know they always had a peak hours thing but never knew anything about a hard limit per month and overage charges.

I enjoy how they are offering faster speeds and are cutting the ability to use them fully. Unless I want to cut my speed in half and drop to DSL there is nothing we can do.

I got the email too today...never knew there was a cap.
    When I try to check the IP of the link it says "server busy".
    It's ridiculous.

I received the same email. I never knew this was in place. Interesting how they decided to advertise the new 'feature'. I have never heard of such thing for home service, cell service yes...but for home service it's a first. Too bad there are not many alternatives in this area.

Use this link to see your usage:

http://www2.engr.ptd.net/login/cable...s/res_util.cgi

I am going to call them later today to ask what's up with this new cap, or if it's a cap they have always had but just forgot to tell everyone.

From what I read, this is 250GB COMBINED up/down. Until they can give the warning at 75% per the email, I don't think they will charge you yet. Based on the numbers, I'm over the limit the last two months - likely due to my cloud backup catching up.

Ryan - Please post the result of your call. Thanks!

Thanks Ryan.

Well, thats that.
    It only took 40 minutes to get a hold of someone. Sounded like they have been answering these calls all day. Their first line of defense told me "Oh you know, its the explosion of technology, we need to start charging people for these overages. It used to be 125 gigs a month but we raised that to 250. But dont worry, its just people who are using the xboes and doing some Amazon hi-def downloading that will get close to that limit". I needed more than answer so they pushed me on to tech support.

250 gigs will be enforced with overage charges starting now. Resets 1st of the month. The old 75 gigs during peak hours with unlimited during the day is done with. "Management has decided to start enforcing the caps", it is a combined total for both up and down traffic. The limit was changed two or three months ago from what it used to be but it wasn't enforced, but that has now changed. That's why the email was sent out, to let folks know penalties are now in effect.

No option to get out of them either, the cap is for both commercial and residential plans. If you want to get another block of bandwidth you need to buy a second modem and set up a second account. When one reaches closed to 250 you have to swap the modems. This means two bills a month from them.

I expressed my satisfactions on record for their monthly customer report meetings but nothing is going to be done, this decision has been made and it's going to stick. We have no other options so this is the way things will be.

Thanks Ryan for making the call and posting a link that actually works. I just checked and I am no where close to the limit but I wonder if this is even legal.

They are a cable TV provider so I wonder if they are feeling the the loss of revenue due to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. This might be their way of making up the loss revenue. Seems like retalation and illegal to me. Just my opinion.

Thanks again Ryan.

I just read the fine print on SECTV's website, I only see the 250GB restriction on the residential internet services. There is no statement about a cap in the fine print under the listing of business internet services. Their cheapest business service is $59.95, so to avoid the overage fee it may be worth switching to the business service.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
    I just read the fine print on SECTV's website, I only see the 250GB restriction on the residential internet services. There is no statement about a cap in the fine print under the listing of business internet services. Their cheapest business service is $59.95, so to avoid the overage fee it may be worth switching to the business service.
    I asked him specifically about business plans, the tech told me the limit now applies for both and through SECTV there is no way to get any kind of unlimited plan. The only option is the second account for the second modem and the second block of 250 gigs.